Starting with this edition of the University Times, we’ll be run a regular feature updating readers on construction projects in and around Oakland. In addition to work associated with the Campus Master Plan, there are plenty of private projects that will change the skyline of Oakland over the next several years.
Carlow master plan: Carlow University will present updates to their Institutional Master Plan from 6:30 to 7 p.m. Oct. 15 at The Corner, 200 Robinson Street. Discussion will include plans for Fifth Avenue and Robinson Street and local transit route service changes at that corner, including the potential impacts to the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) plan, and next steps for St. Agnes Center. The Pittsburgh Business Times reported last year that Carlow is pursuing a major mixed-use development on Fifth Avenue to serve as its welcome center. According to the Business Times, “It's expected to be a new campus-defining project with room for … its health services departments, along with space for commercial leasing and structured parking with at least 300 spaces.”
214 South Craig St.: Proposals were presented Sept. 10 to the Bellefield Area Citizens Association and Sept. 25 to an Oakland-Wide Community Meeting by property owner Mike Wu and architect Ryan Indovina, for a six floor, mixed-use development, according to the Oakland Planning and Development Corp. The building would include restaurant space and one- and three-bedroom apartment units. It most recently housed KBOX Karaoke House, but has been vacant for some time.
3342 Fifth Ave.: On Aug. 29, Walnut Capital presented a detailed review of the design of a 10-story office building geared toward technical, medical, and research companies at Fifth Avenue and Halket Streets, at an Oakland-Wide Community Meeting. The city Zoning Board approved the office building with ground level retail and 100 accessory parking spaces on May 9, according to the Oakland Planning and Development Corp.
Twentieth Century Club: The venerable building at 4201 Bigelow Blvd. is formally on the market, with the women’s group that dates to 1894 deciding to shut down as of Dec. 31, according to the Post-Gazette. The sale is being handled by the Jones Lang LaSalle real estate firm, which told the PG that it had already received several inquiries. The 54,340-square-foot building was built in 1911 and received a makeover and expansion in 1930 by architect Benno Janssen, who also designed the Pittsburgh Athletic Association.
And don’t forget, Bigelow Boulevard: The closure of Bigelow between Fifth and Forbes avenues is still on track to start Nov. 1. The project to improve the pedestrian crossing, fix infrastructure issues and make the landscaping more welcoming will last until August 2020.
— Susan Jones