Pink barrels have been popping up at campus buildings in Pittsburgh to collect unusable textiles.
Clothing and textiles make up about 6.3 percent of the U.S. waste stream, according to Pitt Sustainability. Recycling textiles will assist in reaching Pitt’s goal to reduce landfill waste 25 percent from 2017 levels by 2030.
Accepted items include:
Unwearable clothing, coats, and jackets
End of life linens, towels, bedding, pillows, drapes, and curtains
Hats, gloves, belts, shoes, jewelry, and other accessories.
All wearable clothing and accessories should still be donated to Thriftsburgh in O’Hara Student Center or to a local reuse store.
Collection units have been placed at 19 campus sites near existing toner and/or battery diversion locations:
- Alumni Hall: main lobby, Lytton Street entrance
- Benedum Hall: Near dean’s office
- Biomedical Science Tower: lobby
- Cathedral of Learning: ground floor (near elevators)
- Chevron Hall
- Craig Hall: main lobby
- Eureka Building: main lobby
- Hillman Library: ground floor lobby
- Litchfield Towers: lobby near ATM
- Mervis Hall: main lobby
- O’Hara Student Center
- Park Plaza: main lobby
- Petersen Events Center: mezzanine
- Public Safety Building: Forbes Avenue lobby
- Salk Hall
- Scaife Hall: fourth floor, Terrace Street entrance
- Thomas Boulevard: main lobby
- Posvar Hall: main lobby (near elevators)
- William Pitt Union: main lobby