The $69 million Salk Hall renovation project will be expanded to include the sixth floor, at an additional $3 million, after the Board of Trustees Property and Facilities approved the change at a meeting on Nov. 16.
The work on the sixth floor will include additional classrooms and an improved office layout for the School of Dental Medicine.
Ongoing renovations started in 2018. The project includes full replacement of the building’s mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire suppression systems; exterior renovations including the replacement of all roofs, masonry repairs, partial window replacement and lightning protection; and improvements to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including new restrooms, elevators and modifications to existing stairs.
Salk Hall, built in 1941 and renamed for famed polio researcher Jonas Salk after Pitt purchased the building in 1957, is designated as an historic landmark by the city and the state.
— Susan Jones
Have a story idea or news to share? Share it with the University Times.