Starting Monday, Aug. 19, getting around central Oakland is going to get a bit more difficult.
As Pitt students begin to arrive on campus, traffic patterns will be altered with several streets closed completely. Allow for extra travel time throughout Oakland.
Some of the roads that will be closed next week, according to Pitt Police, include:
- Bigelow Boulevard (Forbes to Fifth): CLOSED, 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday; 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday; and 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday. Also closed from 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, to 6 a.m. Sunday, Aug. 25, for the Welcome Back Bash, which is from 10 p.m.-1 a.m. Saturday on Bigelow and the William Pitt Union lawn.
- University Place (Fifth to O’Hara): CLOSED, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday; 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday and Friday
- Lothrop Street (Fifth to Victoria): CLOSED, 7 a.m.- 8 p.m. Wednesday to Saturday (Lothrop also will continue to be closed above Victoria Street because of work related to the Scaife Hall renovations.)
- North Bouquet Street (Fifth to O’Hara): CLOSED, Monday-Wednesday
- Thackeray Street (Fifth to O’Hara): CLOSED, Monday-Wednesday
- University Drive (Allequippa to Drive C): CLOSED, Monday-Wednesday
For more details on Arrival Survival, including parking restrictions and key events during the arrival week for students, see the July 25 story in the University Times.